Thursday, April 16, 2009

MPW:GNARLS BARKLEY

For once in my life, I will not talk too much about Danger Mouse when talking about Gnarls Barkley. There is another human being in the dynamic duo and he goes by Cee-Lo. Gnarls Barkley is probably one of the greatest acts in pop music ever if not one of the greatest acts of all time. Yes of course there is Danger Mouse, my musical idol, who creates a completely different world musically, that anyone just a bit of imagination can tap into. Personally, I do not think Gnarls Barkley's sound could be done by anyone but him. He is original and a genuine musician, and manages to make music that surpasses any pop artist you would hear on the radio. Thats why I think the Odd Couple was a little better than St. Elsewhere. They're a pop group, we all know that. They didnt try to be, but thats what happened. Every song on the Odd Couple could have been a single on the radio.

Yes, the radio is very shitty, but Gnarls Barkley could and has easily taken it over musically and also lyrically. That is where the simple but also very complex and very honest writing of Cee Lo comes in. There hasnt been anyone(in pop music) really saying things to make us think about ourselves personally since Kanye came out with All Falls Down. Cee Lo says some of the simplest things such as "Its deep how you can be shallow, and I'm afraid because I have no fear, I didnt belive in magic until I watched you disappear". Or "I dont understand, why I'm so understanding, I guess thats all I can be." When you get down to it, dude be sayin some simple shit, but it makes you wonder about yourself if you relate to what he's saying. I think if you can do that, then you're dope. Simple as that. Gnarls is THE dynamic duo. Yes there is Batman and Robin, Pharrell and Chad, Jordan and Pippen, Me and Caleb(in mario tennis) Cee-Lo and Danger... they take the cake.

No comments: