Saturday, March 14, 2009

True to the Word

Charlie Kaufman is a genius. If you're reading this, that first line wasn't said with excitement. It was more of a realization that the writer of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, and Synecdoche New York is a real genius. Everyone has respect and a love for something original to a point, and if you don't then I kind of don't get that. If you have ever watched any of his movies, you will be amazed. Even if you don't like the movie, you have to think to yourself, "How did he come up with this shit?" I FINALLYYY seen his latest film Synecdoche, New York, and yet again, I was amazed at what comes out of this dude's mind. I'm not going to into detail about what the movie is about, because this is really the one out 4 that doesn't have a clear synopsis or a plan. It does and it doesn't. If you look at films now, mostly every single one of them are based off a book, play, graphic novel, short story, whatever. Hardly, do you see movies that were written by person based off shit that comes from them and their experiences. To be honest, thats the only thing I'll give Juno.(Sorry, it didnt live up to the hype in my eyes) And now that I'm taking film classes, I can kind of tell that it's probably pretty hard to get an original piece made. But then again, I dont know because there are alot films that made which I dont understand why i.e. the 3 sequels to Bring It On and American Pie(more than 3)

Maybe you've seen Being John Malcovich and was like naaaah this is kind dumb. Funny, but dumb. Or you needed to watch Eternal Sunshine like 4-5 times to really get what the whole story's about(like I did) but at the end of it you're just like, I dont really did Charlie Kaufman. Ok, thats fine. But in the sense that I'm putting it in, you have to really wonder and ask yourself, "Who Can Come Up With These Stories?" These entertaining, honest, sometimes depressing, stories and make it into a good movie? Charlie Kaufman can. He is a true genius.

1 comment:

rose said...

eternal sunshine changed my life.
i need to see the movie and can never say.